Sunday, December 6, 2015

My Testimony by Randy McBride

I, like many, can't pinpoint my testimony to a single experience or event. Looking back on my life I can think of many small experiences that have influenced my testimony. I was raised by two parents who were and still are, dedicated to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I have many memories of my parents taking us to church, serving in the church and helping others when a need arose. I grew up on a farm in a rural community outside of Phoenix, Arizona. In my childhood and teenage years I spent a lot of time working on the farm with my dad and siblings. On several occasions I can remember talking about gospel topics and asking my dad questions as we walked down the cotton rows chopping weeds.

One experience on the farm forever strengthened my testimony. I was a sophomore in high school and had received a ride home from school one afternoon. I can't remember why but no one else was home. As I walked up to our house I noticed across our property that over by the corrals, one of our horses had gotten out and was just standing nearby the corral. This was not a very tame horse and we really didn't ride him. I knew immediately that I needed to get him back in so he wouldn't run away. So, by myself I started slowly over to the horse and tried not to startle him. Of course, as soon as I got close, he ran away. I started running after him and after several attempts of trying to get around him and having him just keep running farther away from home, I became very frustrated and concerned. I felt all alone and felt like I was never going to get this horse back in the corral and didn't know what to do. In tears, I knelt down on my knees in the middle of an empty field on the farm and said a brief but fervent prayer, "Heavenly Father, help me get this horse back home!" I got up and tried again to get around the horse to drive him home. As soon as I started toward him, he ran around me and headed straight toward the house and the corral. I was so excited that I ran after him yelling, "go horse, go!" He didn't stop running until he got back home. After catching up to him I was able to approach him and get him safely in the corral.

As I reflect on this experience, I realize it was not a big problem, but at that moment it was a huge problem to me. My Father in Heaven knew me and how I felt and He was there for me. I still to this day look back on this experience and know that he answered my prayer in my time of need.  This experience and many others have caused me to realize and know that I am not alone. I know God is my Heavenly Father. His Son is Jesus Christ and He is my Savior and Redeemer. I know His church is led by a living prophet and I will forever be his disciple.


No comments:

Post a Comment